neděle 27. září 2015

Joni, Underway- Kelly Oram, Jonathan Harrow

author: Kelly Oram, Jonathan Harrow
original title: Joni, Underwater
publisher: Bluefields

published: 22nd August 2015
number of pages: 269

Abstract (from GR)
Nineteen year old Joni is loving life as an adult—living on her own, dealing with grown-up things like jobs, hook-ups, and doing her own laundry. Best of all: after finishing her first year at ASU, she will never again be called a freshman.
But when her brother is suddenly killed in a car accident, Joni’s adult life is turned upside down. Struggling to cope with loss, guilt, and anger—not to mention the meddling of friends and family trying to “fix” her—Joni is relieved to be presented with an escape in the form of a sailing trip her brother had been planning for months before he died.
With her first step onto the sailing vessel Lady Marguerite, Joni plunges into an adventure that will mark the beginning of her real adult life—a journey across the ominous dark blue of the Atlantic Ocean with a small, eccentric crew, and the young Captain Reid, whose gorgeous looks are only outmatched by his talent for care and kindness. Unfolding through the ups and downs of life at sea is an unforgettable story reminding us that love will always be a work-in-progress and coming of age never gets old.


Review 
This book is first Kelly's book for older reader. It is not special only because of the different target group, but also she wrote this book together with her husband and the storyline is very untypical for her stories- ok kind of.
I stared at old rock band posters on my wall, and wondered if I would still go to a Tralse concert if they hadn't broken up.
 In the beginning I had a bit problem to became absorbed in reading, firstly because of the different writing style than I'm used from Kelly but also because of the different topic of the book. But after few more pages it started to be very interesting and I couldn't stop to read.

The story isn't sweet, happy, nice as usually. This one has also a bit dark side. Because of the death in the beginning and some other stuffs during the book. But still there is a super hot, sweet and nice boy, who you fall in love with immediately.

Still there is (at least for me) good sense of humor and comic situation. But also kind of surprising in a way I wouldn't expect to be. Especially in the half of the book.
I had two conflicting feelings then: First, a fleeting excitement at the prospect of perfect luxury for the next week or so- of all the trips Andrew could have planned, this was by far the most adaptable to my tastes. You know, because I'm sure he was thinking, "I better pick something Joni will like in case I die and she has to go in my place."
The characters are very realistic even with unbelievable acting (sometimes), experiences, but this makes people special and forming this story in the way it is. I'm just sorry, that in the book wasn't given bigger part to Andrew, 'cause I think he would be interesting character.
For me, it was a surreal moment, a never-would-have-guessed-it night to follow a day that began across the country in a college dorm room, with familiar people and familiar routines. It was a moment of no going back. I was a moment... that abruptly ended when I unclipped the first bumper and, failing to grab it in time, watched it splash into the dark water and float away. Everybody got quiet. They stared at me. My brilliant explanation was, "The thing. It fell in." Scruchy face.
The sail was simly amazing. Some situation were wierd unrealistic, but nice in the storyline. A thing I learnt a lot of words related to sailing, more than I know in my native language. And for some there are even pictures. ;)
 
To sum up. This was something very differnt from other Kelly's books, but I really like it. It was happy and sad, romantic, about family bounds and written in very good readable form. Simply special story.
"Of course he does. The man's got a gift. He's like bacon- everything's better with it."
source of picture and abstract: goodreads.com
quotes from the book Joni, Underwater by Kelly Oram, Johnathan Harrow

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat

Díky za tvůj komentář.